Fall Prevention – This program incorporates use of extensive objective evidenced based balance tests and measures to identify possible risk for falls and to recognize other balance disorders. We provide in home assessment to eliminate barriers and identify safety risks in the home environment which may contribute to falls and injuries. We provide screening for and treatment for Benign Positional Vertigo. We utilize habitual exercises to assist the patient in recovery and achieve long term positive outcomes and give them life-long skills to manage their symptoms.
- An older adult with hip muscle weakness, poor balance, and taking more than 4 medications is at 100% risk for a fall.
- 33% of older adults hospitalized due to a fall will die within one year of falling.
- In 1996, the average healthcare cost of a fall was $19,400.00! Imagine what that would cost in today’s healthcare industry!
- 50% of older adults that have a fall related injury will not return home or to independent living.
- An older adult is 4 times more likely to be hospitalized for a fall than for any other injury.
- The leading cause of injury related visits to the emergency room is falls, and those falls are the primary etiology of accidental deaths in older adults.